Disclaimer

The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Whoa

Whoa.

That's pretty much all I've been able to comprehend over the course of the past couple of days. It blows my mind to think I've been here for less than two weeks because everyday has been a journey in itself. 

Some clarifications of misconceptions a lot of people had before I left Cali:
1. The weather has been wonderful. I don't know the exact temperature, but if I were to guess I'd say mid 80's during the day and 70's at night (Fahrenheit). I'll say I'm still pretty nervous for the winter and the monsoon season. With only cold showers/bucket baths, I will be taking very few showers in the winter due to my incapability of handling the cold. And monsoon season sounds terribad. But, what can ya do but embrace what's to come I suppose.
2. To anyone considering joining the peace corps, be prepared to face any and all irrational anxieties/fears you may have. Such as.... Vaccinations/shots, giant bees, giant spiders, giant mosquitoes, cold showers, wiping your butt with your hand, motion sickness, any kind of sickness, getting hit by a truck/motorcycle/moving vehicle, snakes, little kids taking all your cool little toys, eating the same meal for every meal every day (for two years...fml), etc etc. 

Funny/interesting encounters so far:
1. My little sisters found my tampon while rummaging through my things and asked me what it was. I told them it was a pen. But then they opened it and were very confused. I didn't want to explain the real purpose, especially because when women are on their period in this culture, they are thought of as jutho, a.k.a. Untouchable a.k.a. Impure/gross.  Great.
2. I saw monkeys.
3. I ate a fried giant bee, and it tasted amazing. Just like a salty chip.

Notes:
1. Aerin, if you're reading this, I think you broke my toilet. Curse you.
2. I have a toilet and a shower head! This is pretty damn lucky, but I'm nervous for when I get assigned my permanent assignment and have to readjust to using a charpi (squat toilet) and a bucket shower. Oh we'll I'm living the dream right now.
3. I'm living with a SWL fam right now (if you know what I mean). I have 4 bahinis (little sisters), who are 15, 11, 8, and 8 years old. There is also a nini (grandma), didi/bhaauju (older sister), bahje (grandpa), and a bunch of other little kids that run in and out of our house and I'm not sure if they're related to me or not. My daai (older brother/head of the house) is in the big city working as a bus driver but will come back in a month.
4. I never ever finish all my bhat (rice) because they feed me a ginormous amount, but I get to feed it to the chickens or the dog. There's a dog named popi. He's aight. 
5. We drink tea all the time. 
7. The view outside my room window makes it all worth it.
8. These hikes are no joke, which I appreciate but I'm nasty sweaty all the time.
9. Sleepy bora conquers all. I've accomplished to fall asleep in a 5 person class on the second and third day consecutively. Sorry teach.

There's so much more to update you on but I could never write everything Ive experienced. i will say it really is sinking in that this is my new life, at least for two whole years. I have to avoid giant mud puddles for that long? Holy balls!

Ps- hi Jacob :)! (Too soon?) 

Miss you and love you all! Pheri bhetaulaa satiharu. 

No comments:

Post a Comment