Disclaimer

The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Wednesday


Wednesday (budhabaar), September 25, 2013
I'm full of bhat.

The title has nothing to do with this post, rather it's just how I'm feeling at the moment.  On a more serious note, one of the grandmothers in the village past away today.  She was a neighbor, and a host grandma to one of the peace corps staff members here in Chhaap (our village). I remember saying namaste to her a few times but other than that no real contact. I think it was the first dead body (covered with a sheet) I've ever walked past. It didn't hit me the way I thought it would. It didn't hit me at all, really. The community is very much effected by it however. The crying from inside the home was heart aching and supportive neighbors and friends looked exhausted. Tonight at dinner time we had two of the neighboring children dine with us as their mother was at the home of the grieving family. My host mom/big sister was out supporting the family all day as well that she didn't have enough time to prepare much for dinner, and so the seven of us ate mostly rice with a side of spinach and some tomato acharr. I ate a ton of rice, thus I am very full. 

Another PCT's host mom is out in the hospital with some serious stomach pains. My 15 year old sister didn't join us for dinner tonight as she was lying in bed as well.  I tried to ask what was wrong but I don't know enough Nepali to understand what they told me. She is definitely sick though, emotionally or physically I'm not sure but I'm guessing physically. She's such a badass girl. I hold a lot of admiration for her. I ran into her room today scared like a little child when two street dogs followed me inside the house (they were growling and definitely looked like they had rabies!). I told her, "bad dog bad dog!" in my crappy Nepali and she chased them out of the house and threw a rock at them as they growled and meandered down the street. Then, even in her poor state she ran out to the local shop and bought me some crackers for lunch. I felt bad that she went so far out of her way, but I was so thankful because I really was starving (and by starving I mean, "American who hasn't been fed lunch for a week").

Namaste my Loves, 
Bora

PS- I tried to get everyone to call me Bora, but I found out it means "sack" in Nepali, so I'm going by Christine.

No comments:

Post a Comment