Disclaimer

The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Tuesday

Tuesday (mangalbaar), September 24, 2013
It's true.

I finally saw my first huge spider today. A lot of the other volunteers have been talking about them but I had yet to see one. Lucky for me it was inside my house on the staircase, just like back in San Jose, except this one is literally the size of hand (like my whole hand, fingers included). I was fascinated by it simply because it was so big but then I realized how fast it was too and that started making me nervous so left to my room. 

Last night was the craziest lightning, thunder, rainstorm I've yet to live through. I sound like I'm full of exaggerations in this post but I promise I'm not! The lightning was definitely striking within the mile if not half a mile if not right outside my room window. If I were meant to be struck by lightning, last night was the night. But you never know, tonight looks pretty promising as well. 

Last night there was also a dragonfly and a butterfly/moth(?) in my room. No wonder people sleep so early here; the bugs go batsh*t crazy over light bulbs. I was pretty tired, studying my Nepali, and was just gonna let them chill in my room but they kept flying in my face and running into everything all noisy so I caught the butterfly in a plastic bag and I grabbed the dragonfly by its wings. Impressive huh? it really wasn't too hard; they were asking for it. Plus, they were too big to feel ok with killing. 

I'm seriously making friends with daal bhat (the staple meal, literally translates to lentil rice) and cheeya (black tea). I'm starting to get used to it, but the no lunch part still throws me off and I can't function in the afternoon unless I gorge on biscuits, cookies, or donuts (all terms referring to the bland-ish Nepali versions, not American).

What else....?

I need to give a shout out to my mom in this one. I called her the other day with my high tech Nokia (I hope everyone is following my sarcasm throughout this blog) and the lovely woman was breaking down. I knew this adventure was going to be tough, but I didn't put in as much thought to how tough it was going to be for my loved ones back home, or the singular person that loves me the most, my mom. So, Mom, I just want you to know that I love you and am always praying for you and you don't have to worry about me because we're going to make it. I will survive! You will survive! And at the end, our perseverance will prove to both of us that we can make it through ANYTHING (and that is not sarcasm).

The greatest trial for me, besides the impoverished conditions that make daily living rough, is knowing I will be apart from my family and friends for so long. Regardless of the new places I get to see, the new people I get to meet, and the new experiences, I truly wish I could share them with you all back home, or simply be able to see you at some point in between the two years. With that said, anyone with travel plans to Southeast Asia or anywhere closer to Nepal than America (Europe, Australia, Middle East, wherever!), do let me know if there's a possibility we can make a trip happen together. 

Can't stress it enough, but I seriously miss and love you all. 
You know who you are.

-Bowa

Lopsee acharr ko swaad amilo chha tara ekdam miTho chha.

1 comment: