Disclaimer

The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Saturday


Saturday, September 21, 2013
This last dance.   

Last night I spent about thirty minutes trying to kill a mosquito in my room. This frickin mosquito was so loud, buzzin up a storm. I think I killed it because the buzzin stopped. My bed was oddly comfortable last night, which was awesome. I think I was just really tired.  I've been having crazyyyy dreams every night for the past week. Last night I dreamt about playing field hockey at an indoor tournament. I woke up realizing how much I'm going to miss playing. I have yet to go two full years without playing since I was 13. Good luck to Ucsd field hockey this season. Bring in another 1st place! 

Today (Saturday) is our one day off of the week. Nepal as a country has six day work weeks. How did I get so lucky? 
But as some of the other trainees and I were discussing last night, we really did get quite lucky in terms of peace corps placement, and then the five of us in particular with our training village placement. The weathers been very nice thus far, the view is incredible, and our host families are great. Each of our rooms are pretty nice as well, compared to some of the horror stories we've heard. 

I've been getting used to the eating, in terms of eating with my hand, but the schedule still throws me off a bit. I eat crackers with tea early in the morning, Daal bhat (rice with lentils) at about 9-10am, I am supposed to catch a snack at a little after noon but I rarely do because of our training schedule, then sometimes tea at around 4 and dinner at 7-8pm. I like all the tea breaks but I get so hungry in the middle of the day and not so much when dinner is served. But when I think about it, the community we live in is an agricultural one, and so families are out and busy in the daytime tending to their animals and crops,which probably explains why they don't have time to prepare lunch.

This experience has been a truly unique one thus far. The lifestyle is so dramatically different from the one I've grown up in at home that at night I sometimes convince myself it's a dream. This might sound anti-uplifting, but sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night from a crazy, often uncomfortable, dream, and when I wake I expect to find the comfort of being at home, but then I realize I'm in some unfamiliar country and I go back to sleep unsettled. There's a lot about the lifestyle I once had that I never appreciated until now. 

I might not be able to post this until a couple days later (actually a week later), but who's keeping track of time anyways. I'm following two, maybe three, different calendars now just to make it that much more confusing. 

Miss you & love you,
Bora

Malaai Rosani bahini ko naam ekdam manparcha. 

Ps- to all who sent me anyway with the wonderful gifts I received, I want to let you know how useful everything has been. You are lifesavers! I would've never bought myself such nice quality stuff cuz I'm a cheapo, but my experience here has been upgraded in large part to all the gifts.
I can't thank you all enough <3

Pps- daal bhat makes for stinky gas.

No comments:

Post a Comment