Disclaimer

The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Saturday, December 14, 2013

December 14th, 2013
Saturday – SaNeeBaar
“This is real, so take a chance and don't ever look back.”

I'm all moved in to my permanent site in the district of Dang, one which borders India, in a village known as Manpur.

I have many pets here. I have two cute little snails that came out from the pipe I was taking a bucket bath from, a pet mouse that runs around on the tarp that is my ceiling, another pet mouse on the floor in my room, and a lost little gecko/lizard.

*Cool side note: the mouse (mice?) in my room like to crawl into bed with me at night, as well as leave tons of poop lying around on my bed under my comforter and on my bench that is my shelf-like structure. Not only does this mouse poop while in bed with me, it poops on me too as I found mouse poop stuck on the bottom sleeve of my pajama sweatpants. Wasssuppp.

Other than my new pets, in my new and permanent family setting, I have a baabaa (dad), aama (mom), duwejanaa bhaaujuharu (two sister-in-laws), duwejanaa naniharu (two baby girls: one 16 months and one 9 months old), ra daai (older brother). As it should naturally feel, I was extremely nervous to get to know them. The instinctual questions arose: Can I trust them? Will I get along with them? Do they know what they've gotten themselves into?

But as I slowly get to know them more and more, I'm very pleased to be living with them. My aama has proven so far to be fun, hardworking, and always looking out for me. My bhaaujuharu are both my same exact age, which I sorta love because I can relate to them and see myself as a Nepali through their eyes. The naniharu have also proven to be a blessing. Blessing me with the experience of handling young, new, innocent human beings as well as being “aati” entertaining and bringing subtle joy into the home every day.

I like my new village, and it seems most all the other Peace Corps Volunteers in my group are satisfied with their placements. My village is very flat, rather than the hilly region of Nepal I've been living in the last three months, and although I've never been to India, I have a feeling it looks and feels very similar to our neighboring country.

I'm looking forward to the various plans set for the upcoming months/year, as well as the potential work I can take a part here in Manpur.

I'm learning more and more about myself, who I am and who I'm not, everyday. For that I give many thanks.

Always carrying you loved ones in my heart everywhere I go,
La la la,

Bora

No comments:

Post a Comment