Disclaimer

The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Saturday, March 21, 2015

Jack and John saving the day

I ate some sort of special dutch waffle today-that was nice.  I'm spending the day relaxing and working in Kathmandu before I leave for village tomorrow.  This morning I was able to enjoy a farmer's market held in a restaurant near my hotel (that's where I got the cool waffle).  It's always a pleasure to take part, even if I can't afford much of the merchandise.  The atmosphere is worth the time spent.

I so luckily got to spend a week with the newly arrived group of volunteers (N202) and co-facilitated trainings on topics such as sexual assault, unwanted attention, gender considerations, and stereotypes of Americans in Nepal.  It was a joy to spend time with the Peace Corps Nepalese staff and help answer any questions the new trainees had.

An interesting paradox I find myself  in Nepal: you know how you grow up being taught (at least if your a female) to never follow a stranger down a sketchy and dingy alley, or into a creepy abandoned garage, or if not taught, intuition tells you NOT to?  Well I just did that.  I'm sitting at a cafe using the free wifi, and after so much coffee the bathroom calls thy name. I asked where the bathroom was, then found myself following one of the boy workers out behind the shop, down a dusty driveway into a dark and abandoned looking garage, and up a creepy staircase.  As I was walking up the stairs, I thought to myself, "I can either end up at the bathroom, or end up... someplace bad".  But it was the bathroom :) .  The bathrooms just need to look less creepy.

-Bora

No comments:

Post a Comment