Disclaimer

The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Saturday, January 17, 2015

the art of warmth and light

1/18/15

(I think I pulled my butt muscles…)


As I’m re-living another winter in Dang, Nepal, I've been able to make many of the preparations and precautions I failed to make last year to avoid another trying cold season (such as double blanketing, taking showers during the noon-afternoon hours, wearing layers, fuzzy socks, etc.).

Currently, if you’ve noticed I’ve been posting many blog posts, it’s because I don’t have much work to do because of political “bandhs”, which shut down the government schools, vehicular traffic on highways and roads, and many businesses too as they must close due to these circumstances. I am also waiting for my grant money to hit the bank so that I can begin my 6 month project to create a community library and an advanced sewing training targeting socially disadvantaged women.
Anyways, what I came here to tell you all are the simple joys of village life during the winter while I have nothing to do:

-          -Sitting by the fire, warming my hands and feet after the tarkari (veggies) is done cooking
-          -Doodling/being artsy by candlelight at night when there’s no power
-          -The feeling of a warm cup of cheeya (tea) in my hands and on my lap
-          -Cuddling under the warmth of two blankets at night to fight the night’s cold

Although I miss all the fun and luxury I could be taking part in back in the States, it’s been a joy to be able to live this slower-paced lifestyle without many worries (or perhaps a different set of worries).  And although I can start a fire back at home and enjoy it’s warmth, maybe it’s a new feeling to sit by the fire here and not have thoughts in the back of my head about finals, bills, or any of those other stressors.

Namaste,

Bora

No comments:

Post a Comment