Disclaimer

The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Saturday, January 17, 2015

a bike and a book

1/17/15

Today is Saturday, meaning it’s the one day in the week where stores are closed and people stay home and rest.  It’s the official one day weekend of the work week.  Earlier in 2014, I had a most rewarding experience biking around my VDC (village development committee, which is sort of similar to a county back in the States), finding shady areas under trees, and reading a book.  If I had completed my “day’s work” or had the whole day free to myself, I could bike for an hour or two and stop at about four different shady areas on my way circling back home.  Today I decided to indulge in such an adventure again.  I rode my bike to Ward number 2 in my VDC, an approximate 1 hour walk away but around 30 minutes on a bike, and stopped by a mother’s group meeting.  I shared with them some cookies that were sent to me from Cali (Thank you annamay!!! The mamas say thank you too! They loved ‘em.), talked about the basic how-to’s of mushroom farming, and after about an hour of “chalphal garnuing” I rode away.  I took a road I didn’t recognize but after a short 10 minutes on my bike I ended up at a familiar school; a well-known geographic landmark in my mind.  I found a large tree where I parked my bike and laid upon its roots as I read my latest book.  After an hour or so, I got up and rode back towards my village, an approximate 30-40 minute bike ride away. I pasted the standard scenery of goats, sheep, cattle, pigs, ducks, an angry turkey, and crossed many rivers and rivulets where families were found washing dishes, clothes, and/or themselves. 

In the words of Ice Cube, today was a good day.

-Bora


No comments:

Post a Comment