Disclaimer

The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Are we out of the woods yet?

It’s 4:00pm and I’m currently sitting in my room surrounded by my stuff scattered around my room.  I’ve just returned from a stay-cation in Nepal where I celebrated the New Year in Pokhara followed by a dental appointment in the capital, Kathmandu, thus I’ve been gone from site for a good, little while.  I realize at this moment in my life I often have many, MANY thoughts running through my head, as this is not the first time I’ve been surrounded by tons of things I have to get done but decide to drop everything and write a blog post.  It’s always a whirlwind going away to see life outside of village, then to come back.  I wanted to write a to-do list of everything I want to get done this next and month, but then I realized I quite often do that. So I thought, perhaps I shouldn’t make a to-do list, but just… DO.  I’m happy to say I didn’t come back to site empty handed, as I brought a bundle-full of workbooks and books written in the Nepali language, 3 new novels to read for myself, GRE study books (in case that needs to happen again), and 22 soccer/futbol jerseys.  The Nepali workbooks will be placed in a new community library I am helping to kick start with a local Nepali counterpart and the soccer/futbol jerseys will be donated to the public school in my village along with four soccer balls. With the help of the school staff, I’m looking forward to working on establishing a soccer/futbol team as an organized recreational option for the students.

And the books I brought back for myself are… Blink by Malcolm Gladwell, Arresting God in Kathmandu by Samrat Upadhyay, and I Am Malala by Malala Yousafzai. I have a large book list after that, but one (or three) book(s) at a time.

PS- I still have Shantaram waiting for me to finish. I’ll get to it soon Reynold!!! J


Onward to 2015. 

No comments:

Post a Comment