Disclaimer

The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Sunday, June 30, 2013

I'm moving to Nepal!!!

Hi there friends, family, and loved ones.  I've created this blog to keep in touch when I am away in Nepal.  I've been invited to serve as a Peace Corps Volunteer from Sept. 6th, 2013 to November 29th, 2015, for a total of 27 months.  I'm incredibly excited to keep you updated with pictures and share my experiences and adventures.  However, I gotta say I am also particularly nervous about the bouts of homesickness, run-ins with strange animals/insects, diseases, loneliness, and feeling isolated away from my family and friends.  With that said, I've been thinking of all the possible ways to keep in touch with home and would be so SO grateful to hear from you while I'm abroad.  Here's the list of ways I've thought of to keep in touch:

1. snail mail (yes yes yes yes I promise I will mail letters back too)
2. Email
3. Facebook
4. Skype
5. This blog (borainnepal.blogspot.com)
6. Phone Calls

The main problem is that I don't know what my Internet connection will be like over there, and won't find out until I get situated in my village (November 29th).  Hopefully I will have decent access, as WiFi is finding its way into most places around the world.  If you think of another way to keep in contact, let me know and I'll add it to the list.

With all this said, I have approximately 2 months before I go!!!  I'll be on vacation with my family the week directly before my departure, which means my last weekend is August 24-25.  Try to keep this weekend open as I plan for some sort of Goodbye get-together (any suggestions?).  Come by San Jose and let me hug you!

The countdown begins :)

5 comments:

  1. oh wow! This sounds like such an adventure!! So excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nepal_Wireless_Networking_Project

    Hopefully you are near these! If not, snail mails pretty good :) Super excited for you and looking forward to reading about your adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. when i've lived in less developed places, paper mail was always best. or surprisingly sms/text. that's global now.

    i have had a sat phone, back in 2007, but it was company paid, so i have no idea of the viability of that now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snail mail definitely coming your way, stinky Bora. I'll be following along, friend!!!

    Love you,
    Lissa

    ReplyDelete