Disclaimer

The contents of this web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Back at it

I’m back in Nepal now after my trip to Cambodia.
Highlights of Cambodia:
1.       Angkor (Wat, but as well as all the other temples that comprises this awesome, ancient civilization). Definitely one of the world’s great wonders. I don’t think I could talk it up enough. Something everyone should try to go see at some point in their lives. Only annoyances/downfalls were some of the sales children who walk you up to each temple trying to get you to buy something (but in my opinion some of their items were for prices better than the city) and the food I ate for lunch was my only “meh” meal of the whole trip.
2.       The tonle sap floating village near Siem Reap. We joined a tour group for $39 per person which provided a bike ride through a countryside village, a boat ride, lunch at a home in the floating village, a tour of the floating village, and local snacks along the way. It was a nice venture and a new perspective of how one’s life could be lived.
3.       The Killing Fields Memorial Site near Phnom Penh and the tuol sluong a.k.a. S-21 memorial site. It is strange to call this day a “highlight”, but learning about the genocide which occurred during the Khmer Rouge regime was necessary, and taught me a lot about the somewhat recent history of Cambodia. The country overall seems to be making a grand recovery from the tragedy, but nevertheless it was an honor to take part in remembering the lives that were lost.
Mishaps of the trip:
1.       We tried to make a trip to Sihanoukville, home to the tourist-y beachside of Cambodia, but hit major major traffic in Phnom Penh and made the choice to jump off the bus and not waste more time sweating our buns off in the stalled traffic. One day I shall meet you beach!
2.       Some jerk on a motorcycle tried to steal my purse while I was walking back to my hotel from dinner. Luckily my purse broke and the he only got away with the strap. Be careful while traveling, especially my ladies out there! If you can avoid it, don’t rock a handbag or purse but instead use pant pockets or a fannypack maybe.

That’s all for Cambodia. Overall a good trip in a beautiful country. The Khmer people we met in general were very pleasant.

Back to Nepal! J

No comments:

Post a Comment